Inventory Control for Maintenance means having the right product and materials when you need it and where you need it. Having too much material, not enough material or having to search for the material leads to higher costs and can mean longer downtimes, not to mention the frustration!
This 2-day plant management seminar focuses on building an inventory management system that will lead to better control through optimization of inventory quantities, organization of inventory and access to inventory. Having the right data and implementing procedural controls for your inventory will help maximize the value of every dollar spent on maintenance and reduce the time it takes to have the right part on hand when you need it.
This 2-day seminar is just $1100.
View My Saved Seminars
Day One - Discussion Topics
Day One of this 2 day seminar starts with an overview of inventory management. We’ll discuss basic concepts and best practices before diving into storeroom specifics.
Overview of Maintenance Inventory Management
- Role of Maintenance in Organizations
- Importance and Impacts of Maintenance Inventory Management
- How Inventory Impacts Profits
- How Inventory Impacts Uptime / Downtime
- Methods and Concepts of Inventory Management
World Class Inventory Management
- World Class Management Defined
- How do You Compare to World Class?
- Understanding World Class Management
- Common Problems in Inventory Management
Inventory Management Team Concepts
- Roles and Responsibilities in Inventory Management
- Building an “Inventory Team” throughout the Organization
- Setting Goals
- Measuring Success
- Problem Solving
- Building an “Inventory Team” with Vendors
- What is a Good Vendor?
- What can a Vendor Do for Me?
- Selling the Vendor Your Program
- Maximizing Your Vendor’s Value
- Working with Management on the Program
- Accountability and Ownership
- Environmental / Climate Control
- Receiving Doors and Locations
- Documentation of Movement of Inventory
- Keeping Storerooms Clean
- Physical Layout - ABC Analysis
- Ideal Locations for Parts
- Bins, Drawers, or Carousels
- Item Location Systems
- Security Systems
- Stopping the Open Door Inventory Dilemma
- Storeroom Process & Procedures
Day Two - Discussion Topics
Day two continues by discussing security and procedures. Finally, we will discuss computerized systems, implementing storeroom changes and decision making.
- Types, Levels, and Options
- Why you Need a Secure Environment
- Different Security Types
- Who is Part of the Security Team?
- Primary ID
- Stores Stock Catalog
- Part Descriptions
- Getting Information on Every Potential Item
- Store Stock Numbering
- Identification of all Parts & Materials
- Order Quantity EOQ
- Order Point - Lead Time Usage, Safety Stock
- Stock Index for ID
- Inventory Classification
- Location Codes
- Stock Number or Bin Location
- Bill of Materials (BOMs)
- Consignment Inventory
- Inventory Accuracy - Cyclical Count
- Used Parts
- Rebuilt Parts
- Planning & Inventory Control
- Insurance Items
- Parts vs Kits vs Materials
- Obsolete Items
- Optimization of Inventory
- Return Policies
- Pre-Picking / Pre-Staging
- What Do You Need?
- How Much Do You Need?
- Open Stock vs. Free Issue
- Controlling Additions and Deletions
Working with a CMMS (Computerized Maintenance Management System)
- Bar Coding and Micro-Chip Technology
- Connecting with your CMMS
Metrics & Decision Making Tools
- Practical Measurements & Accounting Systems
- Measuring Inventory Turns
- Minimum / Maximum Levels
- Service Levels
- Analysis of Storeroom Measures Procedure
- Measuring Vendors
Implementing a World Class Storeroom
- Designing an Plan
- Implementing a Plan
Continuing Education Units (CEUs)
Upon completion of this seminar, the student will receive a certification of completion with 8 classroom hours (.8 TPC Trainco CEUs) per day attended. Visit our continuing education units page to determine if this class is accepted by your state licensing agency.
Block Purchase Program
If you have a large number of people attending a variety of different training seminars, a block purchase might be right for you.